Tax Supervisor Role Description
We are a 100% virtual CPA firm with our team located all over the United States. We are a real estate niche focused firm serving Real Estate Investors, Syndicates and Fund Managers. Our team has a passion for real estate and own investment properties themselves and are involved in real estate businesses.
We are on a mission to change the accounting industry by creating the premier people-first firm where strong and talented team members will thrive. We are innovators of tax services and firm culture with work-life integration. We accomplish this by using the best technology and automation on the market, providing unlimited vacation and sick days, creating an autonomous work environment, holding engaging and ongoing training, and offering health insurance and 401(k) matching.
As a supervisor of a team of tax accountants at Hall CPA, you are responsible for the quality and timely delivery of tax returns and the technical development of the senior and associate staff on your team. This role is less client facing than our Tax Manager role and instead focused more on technical excellence, deliverable quality, and staff development. We are looking for someone who has experience in successfully leading a team of tax professionals through tax season.
Team members who thrive at our firm have great time management skills, are self-starters, adaptable, take pride in their work, and work well in an autonomous environment.
Salary Range: $80,000 - $95,000
Areas of Responsibility
- Report to the Tax Manager on capacity, issues, and needs requests
- Mentor and develop your staff of seniors and associates
- Resolve client complaints when needed
- Improve company processes and remove barriers to efficiency
- 2nd level review of tax returns
Maintain team throughput and quality:
- Conduct regular audits to know and improve on the quality output of your team
- Oversee team development on technical skills and work quality
- Maintain updated reporting on project status and capacity forecasts
- Know the flexing capacity of your team and communicate when additional support is required
- Maintains compliance with regulations by forwarding required information to federal, state, and local authorities, according to company guidelines
- Develop and revise procedures to streamline the tax preparation process including workpapers supporting the tax return
Enhance Client satisfaction:
- Provide guidelines for team members to identify areas where the client can save money on their tax returns
- Recommend other “products” to the benefit of the client. For example, bookkeeping services, tax planning etc.
- Work with clients to resolve complaints or quality issues.
Identify opportunities to improve the company
- Identify opportunities to improve information handoffs and collaboration
- Identify barriers and waste in our processes and work to remove them
Measures for Success
- Team economics (revenue and profit and mix between compliance and advisory work)
- Happiness rating of clients
- Implementation of firm improvements (number, type, impact)
- Employee development, engagement, and satisfaction rating
Expectations for remote work
- Clean background
- No noise in the background
- Business casual attire for client interactions
- Always use video (80% of communication is non-verbal)
- Laptop and $250 tech reimbursement for computer/tech accessories provided
You’re a Good Fit For Our Culture If:
- You’re friendly, have a sense of humor, enjoy helping and teaching others, and speak kindly of others
- You’re humbly confident and assume good intentions of others
- You’re disciplined and thrive in a fast-paced environment that is in relentless pursuit of changing the accounting industry
- You take ownership of your work and your clients and drive projects to the finish line
- You love working with and speaking to clients, delivering results and improving their lives
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in accounting from an accredited college or university
- CPA certification
- Experience with real estate tax matters and multi-state tax returns
- 4 to 8 years of relevant professional experience