Tax Senior Job Description
We are a 100% virtual CPA firm with our team located all over the United States. We are a real estate niche focused firm serving Real Estate Investors, Syndicates and Fund Managers. Our team has a passion for real estate and own investment properties themselves and are involved in real estate businesses.
We are on a mission to change the accounting industry by creating the premier people-first firm where strong and talented team members will thrive. We are innovators of tax services and firm culture with work-life integration. We accomplish this by using the best technology and automation on the market, providing unlimited vacation and sick days, creating an autonomous work environment, holding engaging and ongoing training, and offering health insurance and 401(k) matching.
As a Senior Tax Associate at our firm, you will review and prepare Corporate, Partnership, Trust, and Individual tax returns as well as the corresponding workpapers that support those tax returns. Senior Tax Associates will also provide technical input on tax and accounting issues, research tax solutions, provide training to less experienced staff, and nurture client relationships.
Team members who thrive at our firm have great time management skills, are self-starters and adaptable, and work well in an autonomous environment.
Salary Range: $70,000 - $85,000
Areas of Responsibility
- Mentor and develop peers and associates
- Consult with clients, when needed
- Timeliness and accuracy of tax deliverables
- Develop workpapers that support the tax return
- Improve workflow processes and remove barriers to efficiency
Maintain team throughput and quality:
- Provide the first-level review of tax returns prepared by associates and peers
- Prepare complex tax returns as assigned by management
- Prepare and review workpapers that support the tax return, ensure completeness and accuracy
- Clear tax return diagnostics to ensure compliance with federal, state, and local regulations
- Perform technical research as requested by management, or to assist associates with their technical development; present findings with citations
- Mentor and train associates to develop technical and professional skills
- Support management with capacity planning, know the flexing capacity for yourself and associates you are responsible for
Maintain Client satisfaction:
- Assist in managing client expectations and be responsive to their communications/emails (24-48 hour turnaround time) and ensure all client promises are timely met
- Hold tax return debrief calls with clients to educate them on their tax return and various tax positions we have taken
- Send and review client loyalty surveys. Identify and execute on areas of improvement.
- Recommend other “products” to the benefit of the client. For example, bookkeeping services, tax planning etc.
- Work with clients to resolve complaints or quality issues.
Identify opportunities to improve the company
- Identify new “products” for the company. Any process with a defined result that benefits the client becomes a product when you give it a name.
- Identify opportunities to improve information handoffs and collaboration
- Identify barriers and waste in our processes and work to remove them
- Identify training opportunities for peers and associates, develop and host the trainings
Measures for Success
- Timeliness and accuracy of deliverables and workpapers
- Happiness rating of clients
- Implementation of firm improvements (number, type, impact)
- Development of your technical skills
Expectations for remote work
- Clean background
- No noise in the background
- Business casual attire for client interactions
- Always use video (80% of communication is non-verbal)
- Laptop and $250 tech reimbursement for computer/tech accessories provided
You’re a Good Fit For Our Culture If:
- You’re friendly, have a sense of humor, enjoy helping and teaching others, and speak kindly of others
- You’re humbly confident and assume good intentions of others
- You’re disciplined and thrive in a fast-paced environment that is in relentless pursuit of changing the accounting industry
- You take ownership of your work and your clients and drive projects to the finish line
- You love working with and speaking to clients, delivering results and improving their lives
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s or Master’s in accounting from an accredited college or university
- 3 to 5 years of preparing and reviewing 1040s, 1065s, and 1120-S tax returns
- Experience preparing Schedule E, Form 8825, Schedule L and M
- Experience calculating improvement basis for real estate acquisitions
- Experience preparing multiple state tax returns
- Experience navigating IRC Sec. 469
- CPA or EA certification preferred